Next I went over the vision of News.Occupy.net. I spoke about how we are collecting feeds from all over the occupation (Check out the spreadsheet here) then feeding them into a managing news instance at news.occupy.net. How the curators then go in and apply harmonized tags to stories.
I showed a beta example of a front end version that reads the curated news feeds.
I outlined the ladder of engagement for News.Occupy.net looks something like this:
- Read up on the news wire project on our wiki.
- There is also a page for getting involved with some more in-depth info on the wiki.
- Extra credit: create an account at wiki.occupy.net and update the wiki pages!
- Start tagging on news.occupy.net by using the harmonized tags.
- If you have other feeds please add them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet
- Feeds – http://news.occupy.net/feeds – This is the raw data from RSS feeds from occupy web sites.
- Find stories that are poorly tagged, tag boldly.
- Take note of well tagged stories. Edit the wiki page with new/better tags.
- Channels – http://news.occupy.net/channels – This is where the curated data is kept.
- Keep an eye on the channels and remove tags from lame posts that don’t belong in the channel.
The NYCGA.NET training was great. I outlined a lot of the functions on the site.